Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Problem backing up a Mac

2001-09-18 20:26:18
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Problem backing up a Mac
From: mike.marcell AT pni DOT com (mike.marcell AT pni DOT com)
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2001 17:26:18 -0700
I was out of the office for quite a while, and I never sent a response on
this back to the list.

After digging and digging, I came across a README file that gave me the
info to fix my problem. It was also in the installation guide, which of
course I read front to back and must have missed.....;-)

It was failing to backup due to the AppleShare IP that was running.  I
needed edit the mac.conf and change the nice value and the ignorsharing
value. Changed them, and it backs up like a charm.  For what it's worth
though, I made these same changes another mac, not running Appleshare IP
and those changes broke that system so that it doesn't backup.  I wouldn't
have expected that.

Here's the note:

README - AppleShare IP

The NetBackupBPCD application has been changed to work around problems with
AppleShare IP.  NetBackup can hang on systems running AppleShare IP.  This
is caused by a bug in AppleShare IP that prevents NetBackup from obtaining
the user and group names of share points.  To work aound this problem there
is a new "ignoresharing" mac.conf option.  If "ignoresharing = 0" (the
default value), NetBackup will continue to backup the user and group names
of share points.  If "ignoresharing = 1", NetBackup will not backup the
user and group names of share points.

If you are running AppleShare IP, you should set the "ignoresharing" value
to one in the
:System Folder:Preferences:NetBackup:mac.conf file:

       ignoresharing = 1

NOTE:  the AppleShare IP Web & File Server tends to dominate CPU usage on a
Macintosh.  To get reasonable performance for NetBackup, you should set the
"nice" value to zero in the
:System Folder:Preferences:NetBackup:mac.conf file:

        nice = 0
  Mike Marcell                                      The Arizona Republic
  mike.marcell AT pni DOT com                  Systems Database Administrator
  Phone:  (602)  444-4958                  Fax: (602)  444-8010
  Pager:   (602)  409-6248                  Cell: (602) 568-1893

                    Blayne Puklich

                    <blayne@puklic       To:     mike.marcell AT pni DOT com

                    h.com>               cc:

                                         Subject:     Re: [Veritas-bu] Problem
backing up a Mac
                    Composed Date:

                    08/10/2001

                    07:23 AM

                    Please respond

                    to blayne

On Thu, 09 Aug 2001 16:03:34 PDT mike.marcell AT pni DOT com wrote:
> I've got an open call to Veritas Support, but I figured that it can't
hurt
> to run this by everyone as well.
>
> I'm unable to get one of our Macs to backup properly.  We only have 2
Macs,
> and one of them is working fine.  The other keeps timing out with 57, 41,
> or 54.   These are backing up to a unix Master/Media Server.
>
> Master/Media:       Solaris 2.6, NBU 3.4GA
> Mac that works:          MacOS 9.0.4,  tcp 2.1.6, nbu client 3.4
>
> Mac that won't work:     MacOS 8.6, tcp 2.0.3, nbu client 3.4

I'll almost bet money this is related to the version of Open Transport
on the Mac that doesn't work.  You should probably try upgrading that
first.  If it doesn't work, you can always put the older version of
Open Transport back on that Mac.

--
Blayne Puklich                                          Minneapolis, MN
* mailto:blayne at puklich.com                    * Pager: 888/437-8109