Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Newbie Q: "219 - No storage units available" (Repost)

2001-09-18 15:58:40
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Newbie Q: "219 - No storage units available" (Repost)
From: Will.Enestvedt AT jwu DOT edu (William Enestvedt)
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2001 15:58:40 -0400
Hi, all;
   I am new to Veritas NetBackup, though I've been reading this list for a
few months in preparation for getting started. I have a question about
general reasons why one of my media servers might happily back up clients
but another one just returns "219 - No storage units available" errors when
I try to use its robot.
   Here's the environment: I have a Sun E450R with a Sun L/9 tape library (a
rebadged Quantum 8000 drive and space for nine tapes) acting as master
server; it's intended to have eight of my fourteen clients back up to it. A
Sun Ultra 10 with another L/9 is to take the backups from the other six
systems. Both run NBU 3.4 DataCenter with current Sun Patches and Veritas
patches 34_1_Patch and 34_P0858 applied under Solaris 2.6; all the clients
are Suns sytems running 2.6, from Ultras up to E3500's.
    Here's the problem: no backup jobs that are designated for the storage
unit consisting of the Ultra's L/9 work. However, if I choose "Any
available" storage unit, they happily run to the E450's L/9.
   In the /var/adm/messages file for the Ultra (hostname pvd-app-09), I see
two entries that say:
-----
  Sep 18 14:42:30 pvd-app-09 vmd[18044]: unable
    to obtain bound socket, Address already in use (125)
  Sep 18 14:42:30 pvd-app-09 vmd[18044]: terminating -
    daemon cannot obtain socket (58)
-----
   I have followed the suggestions in the Activity Monitor's
trouble-shooting wizard with little success. Are there any other obvious
things that I can check? Should I reboot the Ultra? Should I accept that
this is a Tech Support call and get in touch with Veritas? (I'd prefer not
to spend a day on the phone...) Are there known problems with the L/9?
   Thank you very much in advance for any suggestions you might offer.
-wde
--
Will Enestvedt
UNIX System Administrator