Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Buying a new Robot

2001-09-04 14:49:53
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Buying a new Robot
From: John_Wang AT enron DOT net (John_Wang AT enron DOT net)
Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2001 13:49:53 -0500
Hello Anthony

The ADIC Scalar 1000 starts off with one cabinet holding 237 slots and 12 drives
(if you use AIT2 technology) and is expandable to four cabinets either with slot
only or slot and drives cabinets (a maximum of 1,024 slots).   I've got three of
them and they have worked reasonably well.   One thing I don't like is that
Netbackup has difficulty ejecting more than one tape at a time on the Scalar
1000's even though the I/E port holds 18 tapes (Basically the vmchange -e -s
command doesn't leave the tape in the I/E port after the timeout as it does on
other changers so the ejection is either one at a time or scripted slot to mail
slot instead of tape to mail slot).   Another thing that I don't like is that
the I/E port's slots are fixed in the drawer so you still have to manually pull
the tapes out of the slots after pulling the drawer out, it would be nice to
have a magazine that one could pre-load and just swap like the Exabytes.   Other
than that, it's fast, inexpensive, I've only had to replace the gripper once and
so far no dropped tapes.

Mind you, I never bother with the clock on the LCD panel as that would mean
keeping up with daylight savings to standard time changes, the units are at
three different sites and I'm not about to fly about the country just to set the
time.   They need to either put a smarter clock in or drop the clock altogether.
The newer ones can have their clocks set remotely via a web page but I would've
expected ntp to have been the obvious mechanism at that point.

Regards,
John I Wang
Sr. Systems Engineer
Steverson Information Professionals

---
Enron Networks
Enron Building room 3427e
ph (713) 345-4888
cell (832) 493-1263
fax (713) 646-8462
pg pagejwang AT skytel DOT com or 1-877-390-4155

|--------+----------------------->
|        |          akratunis@tia|
|        |          a-cref.org   |
|        |                       |
|        |          09/04/01     |
|        |          01:08 PM     |
|        |                       |
|--------+----------------------->
  |       To:     veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
     |
  |       cc:     scurry AT yahoo-inc DOT com, (bcc: John Wang/Contractor/Enron

  |       Communications)                                                     |
  |       Subject:     RE: [Veritas-bu] Buying a new Robot                    |

We are looking for minimum 300 tape slots, 5 drives, but we will probably
grow
anthony