Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Additional Comments of NBU DB Extension for Orac le

2001-08-31 13:34:16
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Additional Comments of NBU DB Extension for Orac le
From: sixbury AT celeritas DOT com (Sixbury, Dan)
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2001 12:34:16 -0500
>From my experience with RMAN and Oracle I would recommend to create a
separate database specifically for the rman recovery catalog.  Oracle has
good documentation on best practices and how to setup rman, but you need to
have an Oracle metalink account.  If you have a separate database created
for the recovery catalog, then you enable the ability to shut it down to
perform cold backups of the recovery database without affecting a production
database.  Also, if you have the recovery catalog tables, etc. stored in an
existing database, then that recovery catalog cannot be used to backup that
database.  This is another reason for a separate database for the recovery
catalog.

Another thing that you have to be careful with when working with Oracle RMAN
is to make sure you are keenly aware of the Oracle rman support matrix.
Certain versions of Oracle require specific versions of rman.  Some day
Oracle will be a little more backward compatible with their rman product,
but currently that is not the case.

So far as where to put this rman database, I would suggest on one of the
servers that already has Oracle running.  That way you do not have to
install Oracle binaries on another server for the sole purpose of a recovery
catalog which may only require a database the size of 100MB or so.  (This of
course is an initial size, and could grow, but I still consider a 100MB
database tiny.)

So far as Vericon, maybe I will have to check to see if there is still time
to submit papers.  :-)  I have experience implementing a Oracle rman and
NetBackup solution in which we took the backup time down from 17 hours to 51
minutes.  This was going from a hot backup solution to a rman / netbackup
solution.  The benefit of rman is that it doesn't backup "white space" and
with NetBackup I was able to multistream the jobs across 8 tape drives.

Dan Sixbury
Celeritas Technologies, LLC
913-491-9000