Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Long Ruuning Database BAckup

2001-08-31 10:11:56
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Long Ruuning Database BAckup
From: david AT xbpadm-commands DOT com (David A. Chapa)
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2001 09:11:56 -0500
how big is /usr/openv/netbackup/db?

what is the tape media you are backing up to...?

What is the storage that you imageDB resides on?

Is it normal?  Well, defining normal would be the never-ending consulting
opportunity ( yeah! )

Is it reasonable?  Hmm, I would tend to believe that it was not reasonable
that it would take 7+ hours for your database backup.  However, that is
taking some liberties and making some assumptions.

Remember NBU is probably trying to do some DB cleanup of the widowed images
due to jobs being killed which may in fact be adding to your 7+ hours,
maybe.

I think this is, however a symptom you are trying to address rather than the
problem itself.  You mentioned your backups are not finishing in the 24 hour
window.  I think I would start there.

You either:
1. do not have enough tape drives in your library for the amount of data you
are backing up
2. are not getting the best performance out of your tape devices and
therefore need to work with tuning.
3. are experiencing a considerable amount of errors, thus causing a log jam
in your backup windows.

There may be many more potentials here, but those are the most common.

I hope this helps
David

David A. Chapa
Consulting Manager
DataStaff, Inc.
847 413 1144
http://www.consulting.datastaff.com
NBU-LSERV AT datastaff DOT com - Adv. Scripting
http://www.xbpadm-commands.com