Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] media mount timeout

2001-08-31 09:55:57
Subject: [Veritas-bu] media mount timeout
From: david AT xbpadm-commands DOT com (David A. Chapa)
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2001 08:55:57 -0500
Media Mount timeout is a carry-over from the OpenVision days.  Back then we
need to have a mount timeout for some of the standalone drives that were
being used in the environments so as to eliminate excessive pending
requests.

Does this generate a pending request in your device monitor?  It should
timeout for that, but if it is waiting for a tape to become available, it
won't time that out.

I haven't played enough with vault to answer you questions about how it
handles it, but I do know that this is where I believe the logic I use in my
duplication scripts is different (sorry Brian/Bryan), there is not a chance
that I will duplicate an image that exists on a tape that is currently being
duplicated (I could actually add "currently being used for backup" but this
seems to be a rare case in most of my client sites), nor will I attempt to
duplicate an image on a tape that has a resident of NONE or STANDALONE.  I
will rather create an ALERT REPORT that notifies you that there are images
on a tape that are candidates for duplication which live outside the tape
library.

As far as a work around for that in Vault, I'm not sure.  Back to you media
mount timeout...it should work for any of your pending mount requests but
not for any jobs waiting for a mounted tape to become available.

I hope this helps,

David

David A. Chapa
Consulting Manager
DataStaff, Inc.
847 413 1144
http://www.consulting.datastaff.com
NBU-LSERV AT datastaff DOT com - Adv. Scripting
http://www.xbpadm-commands.com