Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Reusing tapes in a DLT7000 that were originally written to in a DLT4000 using Budtool

2001-08-23 12:41:56
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Reusing tapes in a DLT7000 that were originally written to in a DLT4000 using Budtool
From: llabonte AT att DOT com (Labonte, L R (Leo), SITS)
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2001 12:41:56 -0400
In the past, we were an all BudTool shop.  We are now retiring
out last BudTool servers and replacing them with NetBackup
servers.  Some of our BudTool tape libraries used DLT4000 tape
drives.  We have one NetBackup server that has a STK 9714 tape
library with DLT7000 tape drives.  We reuse our old BudTool tapes
in this library by first destroying the tape label with a file
mark.  Put a BudTool tape in a DLT7000 tape drive and do this:

mt -f /dev/rmt/0cbn rew
mt -f /dev/rmt/0cbn weof
mt -f /dev/rmt/0cbn rew

This will at least make the tapes usable by NetBackup.  Using
hardware compression, I recall recording at 90GB per tape.

CAUTION: You may do damage to your DLT tapes by bulk
erasing.  We only bulk erase when we throw tapes away.

        Leo