Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Database Extension (Oracle) Recovery Catalog

2001-08-21 13:40:00
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Database Extension (Oracle) Recovery Catalog
From: dfdwyer AT tecoenergy DOT com (Dennis Dwyer)
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2001 13:40:00 -0400
Adam,

I can only tell you what I learned in the class (which seems like eons ago). I
have not actually used it yet. In reading your e-mail it looks as though you
understand the concept as well as anyone. From my notes I can tell you this:

As you have stated:

Since MOST of the information in the Recovery Catalogue is also available in
the Target Database's Control File it can be used instead of maintaining a
separate Recovery Catalogue. This appears to be appropriate for small databases
where installation and maintenance of another database for the sole purpose of
maintaining a Recovery Catalogue would be excessive.

But:

To restore and recover a database WITHOUT using a Recovery Catalogue, Oracle
recommends that you use multiplexed control files and have each control file on
a separate disk to protect against media failure. I don't know why they say
this (I'm not an Oracle guy) but that's what I've got in my notes. I guess if
you're using RAID striping it may not matter much.

That's all I know and it ain't much. But then again I'm just a newbie trying to
figure out which way to go. Hopefully Steve is reading and can provide a heck
of a lot more.

Regards,
Dennis

Quote: "Time is not a test of the truth"
Translation: Just because you've always done it that way, doesn't make it right

Dennis F. Dwyer
Enterprise Storage Manager
Tampa Electric Company

(813) 225-5181  - Voice
(813) 275-3599  - FAX

Visit our corporate website at www.tecoenergy.com

>>> "ADAM" <adamlapizza AT hotmail DOT com> 08/21/01 01:05PM >>>
Hi Steve & Dennis,

I am not so famlier with Oracle, and I have one questoin regarding the
Recovery Catalog and Recovery Manager (RMAN) in the Admin Guide they say the
following:
The recovery catalog is a repository of information that is used and
maintained by Oracle8 Recovery Manager. Oracle8 Recovery Manager uses the
information in the recovery catalog to determine how to execute requested
backup and restore actions. Oracle recommends you use Oracle8 Recovery
Manager with a recovery catalog, especially if you have 20 (or more)
datafiles. However, you are not required to maintain a recovery catalog with
Oracle8 Recovery Manager. Because most information in the recovery catalog
is also available in the target database's control file, Oracle8 Recovery
Manager supports an operational mode where it uses the target database
control file instead of a recovery catalog. This operational mode is
appropriate for small databases where installation and administration of
another database for the sole purpose of maintaining the recovery catalog
would be burdensome.

Lets say that I do not use the Recovrey Catalog, is there any know issues in
my case?

Thanks for your help.

Adam