Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] expiring media

2001-08-09 14:18:40
Subject: [Veritas-bu] expiring media
From: mdaigle AT yorku DOT ca (Mike Daigle)
Date: Thu, 09 Aug 2001 14:18:40 -0400
We want to expire some assigned tapes.
We started with 6 month retention and 3 months ago.
We have now decided to only keep three months worth, so we would
like to start recyling tapes now, but they are all catalogged
until November.

I am looking at using the command
/usr/openv/netbackup/bin/admincmd/bpexpdate -recalculate -ret 5
-class <classname>
running it once for each class in my config.

Can I run it for all classes automatically somehow?
This sounds very scarey, any ideas how to project how long this
might run?
Advise a catalog backup immediately beforehand?
Anybody think of any gotchas?

One gothca I have thought of is this:
If there are class names that have been deleted, they may have
catalogged images with 6 month retention. How can I catch those?
This might not be an issue for me but I am not sure.

Looking for some validation before I try this.

--
Mike Daigle                                          \ |       |
Operations Project Supervisor                         \| /\ |~ |/

For thousands of years man lived just like the animals;
Then something happened that unleashed the power of his
imagination;
He learned to talk.
        -- Pink Floyd