Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Restricting access for NDMP Restores

2001-08-08 14:02:56
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Restricting access for NDMP Restores
From: michael.gajda AT ssmb DOT com (Gajda, Michael [IT])
Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2001 14:02:56 -0400
Has anyone come up with a way to allow a group of individuals to do NDMP
restores and limit their access to particular volumes or filers without
giving them full "administrator" rights?

With non-NDMP backups we can give groups of administrators the ability to do
restores and limit their access to the client machines that they are
responsible for.  This is done through the NetBackup client package that is
installed on the client machines and the "altnames" directory on the master
server.

With NDMP backups only an administrator on a NetBackup server can restore
files from NDMP backups. Having administrator access of course means you
also have access to (and restore capability to) all clients being backed up
by that server.  We want to be able to give our SAs the ability to do NDMP
restores but only for the filers or (preferably) volumes that they have
responsibility for.

Michael Gajda                 michael.gajda AT ssmb DOT com
Salomon Smith Barney    Dasd Management/Vital Records
745 Route 3                    phone: 201-231-3408
Rutherford, NJ 07070