Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Command line option

2001-08-08 12:59:02
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Command line option
From: curtis AT backupcentral DOT com (W. Curtis Preston)
Date: Wed, 08 Aug 2001 09:59:02 -0700
Well, that's a heck of a way to welcome a new NetWorker -> NetBackup
convert. ;)  There's a lot more just like him.

(If you're a former NetWorker user, and now feel competent in NetBackup,
I'd like to talk to you.  I think we should have a "NetBackup for NetWorker
Users" section of the FAQ.)

Raj, he's right in that you will find many frustrating differences between
the products.  I teach a class called "NetBackup for NetWorker Users."
Going either direction will result in a great deal of confusion.  Some of
the ones you pointed out are certainly among them.

For nsrwatch, I would use the device monitor, coupled with the job monitor.

For mminfo, there are a number of vm* and bp* commands, depending on what
you're looking for.  Here are a few to look at:
   vmquery, bpmedialist, bpimmedia, available_media

For nsrjb, use vmupdate, and the somewhat-undocumented -e and -i commands
to eject and inject tapes from the library.
   It's nowhere as easy as nsrjb, but once you get used to its options, it
will do the same thing.

You'll also want to read a LOT about scheduling and Windows, and
bpstart_notify and bpend_notify instead of savepnpc.  You'll also want to
read up about how the media manager and NetBackup are actually two
completely different products that handle different things.  A lot of
frustration comes from this.  The media manager tracks the tape, where it
is, and whether or not any application (like NetBackup) is using it (or has
used it):
   Tape X was used on 1/1/1, and is therefore assigned.  Only that same
application can use it again.
NetBackup tracks what went ON the tape:
   Tape X contains the full backup of /usr from elvis from 1/1/1.

Check out the NetBackup FAQ at:
http://www.backupcentral.com/cgi-bin/networker-fom