Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] INCOMPATIBLE MEDIUM?

2001-08-05 22:55:02
Subject: [Veritas-bu] INCOMPATIBLE MEDIUM?
From: DAllen AT axa.com DOT au (DAllen AT axa.com DOT au)
Date: Mon, 6 Aug 2001 12:55:02 +1000
Hello,

Netbackup 3.4 Media Manager on HP-UX 11.0
Tape drives are Fibre STK 9840 in a 9710 library shared with SSO.

Last week I added some new 9840 tapes to the library.  Over the weekend
when Media Manager tried to mount a couple of these tapes for the first
time, we received the following errors in the syslog.....

Aug  5 03:23:36 emperor tldcd[3875]: TLD(0) key = 0x5, asc = 0x30, ascq =
0x0, INCOMPATIBLE MEDIUM
Aug  5 03:23:36 emperor tldcd[3875]: TLD(0) Move_medium error: CHECK
CONDITION
Aug  5 03:23:36 emperor tldd[27487]: Adding media ID N00473 to unmountable
media list
Aug  5 03:23:36 emperor tldd[27487]: TLD(0) drive 3 (device 2) is being
DOWNED, status: Robotic mount failure
Aug  5 03:23:36 emperor tldd[27487]: Check integrity of the drive, drive
path, and media

It attempted to mount the same tape on all drives one by one and got the
same error on each.

later........

Aug  5 11:20:56 emperor tldd[2313]: TLD(0) [2313] unable to connect to
tldcd on emperor: Connection refused (239)
Aug  5 11:20:56 emperor tldd[27487]: TLD(0) going to DOWN state, status:
Control daemon connect or protocol error
"emperor" is the master server, a media server,and the robotic control
host.
Eventually I stopped/restarted all the Netbackup and Media Manager
processes and things started working again.

So.....
Firstly, I cannot see any problems with these tapes.  Does anyone know what
INCOMPATIBLE MEDIUM means?  Is it an actual I/O error on the tape?

Secondly, any ideas about why nothing could communicate with tldcd (library
control daemon) a bit later on?

Any help greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Dean

Important Note
This email (including any attachments) contains information which is
confidential and may be subject to legal privilege.  If you are not
the intended recipient you must not use, distribute or copy this
email.  If you have received this email in error please notify the
sender immediately and delete this email. Any views expressed in this
email are not necessarily the views of AXA.   Thank you.