Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Tape Request Question

2001-07-31 10:48:27
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Tape Request Question
From: Don.OShea AT emergis DOT com (O'Shea, Don)
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2001 10:48:27 -0400

------_=_NextPart_001_01C119CF.DDB5F53E

How does NBU decide which available tape in the pool it requests. We are
running NBU 3.4GA on Win2K master and clients with a standalone DLT drive
attached to the master. I have three classes configured to perform full
backups on various clients. The classes are all configured to kick off
within hours of each other. Since I am just testing at this point, I have
only configured 1 tape in the media pool for these classes which should be
sufficient(they are brand new install with basically only the OS on them).
The first class to kick off backs up fine, but when the next class that
kicks off right after that, NBU requests the emergency scratch tape even
though the regular tape is nowhere close to being full. I checked the
db\media\error file and there where no problems writing to the tape.

Don O'Shea
NT Support
BCE Emergis Inc.
(905)707-4000 Ext. 3765
Fax: (905) 707-4329
mailto:don.oshea AT emergis DOT com

------_=_NextPart_001_01C119CF.DDB5F53E

<HTML>
<HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
5.5.2650.12">
<TITLE>Tape Request Question</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">How does NBU decide which available =
tape in the pool it requests. We are running NBU 3.4GA on Win2K master =
and clients with a standalone DLT drive attached to the master. I have =
three classes configured to perform full backups on various clients. =
The classes are all configured to kick off within hours of each other. =
Since I am just testing at this point, I have only configured 1 tape in =
the media pool for these classes which should be sufficient(they are =
brand new install with basically only the OS on them). The first class =
to kick off backs up fine, but when the next class that kicks off right =
after that, NBU requests the emergency scratch tape even though the =
regular tape is nowhere close to being full. I checked the =
db\media\error file and there where no problems writing to the =
tape.</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">Don O'Shea</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">NT Support</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">BCE Emergis Inc.</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">(905)707-4000 Ext. 3765</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">Fax: (905) 707-4329</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial"><A =
HREF=3D"mailto:don.oshea AT emergis DOT com">mailto:don.oshea AT emergis DOT
com</A></=
FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">&nbsp;</FONT>
</P>

</BODY>
</HTML>
------_=_NextPart_001_01C119CF.DDB5F53E--