Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Problem with restoring files

2001-07-18 14:45:42
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Problem with restoring files
From: JCohen AT cyberdialogue DOT com (Joel D Cohen)
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2001 14:45:42 -0400
Hi List,

I'm running 3.4 on Solaris 2.6 with a SpectraLogic 10000 with 4 AIT-2
drives. My backups run fine, but when I try
to restore a file, I'm getting one of two things.

1. Trying to restore yields an error that says "media manager detected that
the tape is not in tar format" and the
restore fails.

2. Trying to restore just exits with the message "failed to recover
<filename>."

This is not localized to a single tape or a single drive. I've tried all 4
drives and tried restoring from a few different
tapes as well. Has anyone else seen this behavior? I ran a few test tars
and things seemed fine. I've opened a case
with Veritas on this and the tech said that he'd never seen this before and
that my media might be bad. I am able to
restore from the tape by directly using gnu tar, so I'm pretty sure that my
tapes are not bad.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Joel Cohen
Client Infrastructure Manager