Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Follow-up: NetBackup ltid and syslog

2001-07-13 15:30:26
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Follow-up: NetBackup ltid and syslog
From: Matthew.Secaur AT cna DOT com (Secaur,Matthew J.)
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2001 14:30:26 -0500
Hello,
        While I have not yet gotten an official response from Veritas Tech
Support, I seem to have stumbled upon a solution to my problem.

Volume Manager's ltid logs to the syslogd (if you use the ltid -v option)
with the facility and level:    daemon.notify   (Actually daemon.debug,
.info also work)

So I added this line to my /etc/syslog.conf:

daemon.info             /usr/openv/netbackup/logs/ltid/ltid.log

and to keep the same messages from being repeated in syslog.log, I changed
this line:

*.info;mail.none                /var/adm/syslog/syslog.log

*.info;mail,daemon.none /var/adm/syslog/syslog.log

and this seems to work.

HOWEVER!  (Isn't there always a "but"?)

This has a down side, too.  Processes like inetd, ftpd, etc. also use the
"daemon" facility.  So by adding the daemon.none piece to syslog.conf, you
will either lose messages from those services or they will be redirected to
the file you specify on the daemon.info line, effectively separating them
from the rest of your system logs.

I will post more if Veritas comes back with a response that is better than
what I've found.
                                                --Matt--