Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Crash Recovery procedure on Solaris clients

2001-07-11 10:36:13
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Crash Recovery procedure on Solaris clients
From: Steve.White AT PacifiCorp DOT com (White, Steve)
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2001 07:36:13 -0700

------_=_NextPart_001_01C10A16.D5A911F0

To do a full system recovery using NetBackup as the recovery tool is
complicated and OS dependent.  I've seen a couple ways of doing this
successfully:

1.  Since most Sun servers have a single-ended SCSI port built-in, you =
can
keep an external hard drive pre-loaded with your OS and the NBU client.
Then boot the dead machine from this external disk and restore the =
complete
root partitions to the replaced root disk.  When using this method, =
make
sure you've installed the boot block on the new disk.  You will also =
have to
take additional steps if the root disk was using VxVM.

2.  What I consider the best way is to have a boot server on the same
subnet(s) as your servers and use the mini-root package from Sun that =
has
NBU functionality built in (you can get it from the Sun Blueprints =
Online
web site).  This will allow you to boot the server over the network and =
have
access to an NBU client.  Again you would initiate a complete restore =
to the
new disk drive, with the same caveats as above.=20

Of course the key to this is to document your method and test it =
frequently.
If you're still having problems booting the server after the restore, =
you
should try rebuilding /etc/path_to_inst and the device files (which you =
can
do by removing the files and doing a boot -ar from the "ok" prompt).

Steve