Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] RE: [Veritas-vx] Help with Veritas products?

2001-07-11 04:27:46
Subject: [Veritas-bu] RE: [Veritas-vx] Help with Veritas products?
From: curtis AT backupcentral DOT com (W. Curtis Preston)
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2001 01:27:46 -0700
At 12:32 AM 7/11/2001 -0700, Roger B.A. Klorese wrote:
>It started with Volume Manager 1.2, released for public consumption in
>ealty 1992.  The term nay also have been used with Tolerant's products,
>which would take us back to the mid 80s.

Obviously you have quite a history with the Veritas product line, that
definitely exceeds mine. ;)

> > (d) That's what a lot of vendors have actually done with other things.
> >      Call it whatever you want, as long as you don't pick a name that the
> > rest of the
> >      industry is using to mean something else.
>
>Renaming things is nearly always a bad idea.
>
> > I am in favor of anything that reduces confusion, and I think that one
> > company using the same term to refer to two different technologies is
> > confusing.
>
>But it refers to one *concept*: a stable point-in-time image.  Whether or
>not it is copy-on-write is implementation triviality.

I suppose this is where we'll have to agree to disagree.  To say that
they're both the same thing implies that they have the same level of
functionality.  If they did have the same level of functionality, then I
might agree with you, but they don't.  They both offer a stable,
point-in-time image, but they don't bother offer the same level of
recoverability.  The biggest example of this is that snapshots (copy on
write) can't protect you against a large disk failure on the primary, where
copies can.  Many people overlook this fact, and get burnt when the have a
major drive failure on the primary mirror.  "But we had snapshots!"  Sorry,
Charlie.  Snapshots are only good as long as the disk(s) from which they
are taken are good.

Therefore, I believe that the proper thing to call copy on write is a
"snapshot," since it's not really a copy -- it's just a "picture" of the
disk that helps you remember what it looks like.  But if the original is
trashed, all your snapshot will help you find is a mess.  It's no better
than a snapshot of a dead person.  It's a nice memory. ;)  (OK, so the
anology breaks down, but don't they all?)

A "third mirror," or "business continuity volume" is an entirely separate
copy that can be used to pick up where you left on when your entire array
goes kaput (sp?).  I actually like the term BCV, as I think it best
describes what a "third mirror" is, without using the term "third
mirror."  However, I think I would infuriate the rest of the industry if I
tried to use it as the generic term for a third mirror.

---
W. Curtis Preston
Principal Consultant for Storage Designs,   your storage experts
Voice: 760 710 7017                            Fax: 760 710 7019
Webmaster: http://www.backupcentral.com curtis AT backupcentral DOT com