Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] RE: [Veritas-vx] Help with Veritas products?

2001-07-10 13:34:40
Subject: [Veritas-bu] RE: [Veritas-vx] Help with Veritas products?
From: rogerk AT QueerNet DOT ORG (Roger B.A. Klorese)
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2001 10:34:40 -0700 (PDT)
On Tue, 10 Jul 2001, W. Curtis Preston wrote:
> All snapshots are copy on right (or act that way), or they're not a
> snapshot.  That's the definition of a snapshot.  If it's a full copy, then
> it's a copy.

Trust me -- the feature called "snapshot" in Volume Manager is *not*
copy-on-write.  It is merely an altered semantic for mirror-breaking.

The "definition" of a snapshot is "any point-in-time feature you choose
to call a snapshot."  Volume Manager used the term for this
non-copy-on-write semantic before BCV's existed and before NetApp was
NetApp.
--
ROGER B.A. KLORESE                                          rogerk AT QueerNet
DOT ORG