Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] AUTO_UPDATE_ROBOT bug ?

2001-07-08 12:16:16
Subject: [Veritas-bu] AUTO_UPDATE_ROBOT bug ?
From: rajeev AT tigr DOT org (Karamchedu, Rajeev K.)
Date: Sun, 8 Jul 2001 12:16:16 -0400
Greetings

I would appreciate if some light is shed on this
weird and annoying problem I am dealing with..

PROBLEM DESCRIPTION
-------------------
I recently added AUTO_UPDATE_ROBOT tag in the vm.conf
so that my STK 9710 can sense the tapes and automatically
populate the slots. This feature is supposed to detect
the opening and closing the mailslot, examine the inport
for any tapes and automatically transfer them to slots and issue
a vmupdate command in the end. The vm process tldcd has a part in
this process. The problem is that "tldcd" seems to have its own
mind about doing this auto_update. When it does not work,
here are some behaviour patters I found:

(And yes, I have tried this when the robot is absolutely idle,
as prescribed in the TechNotes)

a) tldcd dies with a core dump (same core size all the time, of
   course)
b) It only dies when I put the tapes in the mailslot and close the
   door for it to start auto updating
c) It always dies after it detects a "tape" in offset 1 of I/E
   (input/output mailslot)
d) If I manually start tldcd and open/close the mailslot with NO
   tapes in it, it does NOT die and proceeds to do the vmupdate...

Environment
NB 3.4 GA with J0850482, NB_34_1
Solaris 2.7 master and media server

Veritas Tech Support does not have an idea either, unless
they are so clueless, I cannot understand why they fail
to respond to my case !

Any thoughts?

--Rajeev
http://www.tigr.org