Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] RE: how to preview the media to be used for backup

2001-06-26 15:38:32
Subject: [Veritas-bu] RE: how to preview the media to be used for backup
From: jason AT dataprompt DOT com (Jason Jin)
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2001 15:38:32 -0400 (EDT)
A few days ago , I ask a question wheather it is possilble to preview the
volume ( media ID ) going to used for BACKUP purpose (not restore),
base on the current backup schdule. thanks to all who kindly replyed ,
the consensus seems:

1. for  large site , with multiple tape library , differient class schdule ,
data set size , differient retention periods etc. It is impossible to
predict/preview the media used.

2. for small shop ( like mine) , with one backup server and one tape library
and only used blank and recyclable tape , and data not spanning volume,
it would be possible to predict the media ID expected. ( someboby says
it's trivial , but I'm still triying to figure out how )

After reading throught the documetation, Page 592 on netbackup admin guide
( under the title "media managemennt concept" , subtile "how netbackup
 select media in a Robot"), I find the following rules that NBU use:

===================================== rules used ===============
#1.search the netbackup media catalog for a volume that is already
mounted in a drive and meets the following criteria:
 - configured to contain bcakups at the retentin level required by the
schdule ( unless specified ALLOW_MULTIPLE_RETENTIONS_PER_MEDIA in bp.conf)
 - in the volume pool required by the backup being performed.
 - not in a full, frozen, suspended , or imported state.
 - of the same desity irequired by the requsted backup and , inthe case
of robot, is in the robot requested by the backup.
 - not currently assigned in use ny another backup or restore.
 - not written in a protected format ( such as ANSI/CPIO/TAR etc)

#2. if netbackup cannot find a mounted volume that satisfied the above
conditions , it checkes its media catalog for any volumes that is suitable.

#3. if the media catalog does not have a suitable volume, Netbackup request
Media manager to assign one . Media Manger then assign a volume to Netbackup
that meets all of the following criteria:

- is the correct media type.
- is for the correct robot type ( if applicable)
- is located in the request robot ( if applicable)
- resides on the request host.
- is in the correct volume pool.
- is not currently assigned to ( not already allocated to )
- is not expired ( if expration date is defined in Media Manager)
- Have not exceeded the maximum number of mounts allows.

===============================  end of rules used =====================

so my thought is maybe It is possible , in simplfied siuation , to write a
script and  extract various information above from the media   catalog , volume
database  , robot slot information etc and check against the above rules, to
determine the next media used.

the problem is that  after I've comb through the "system admin guide" and
"media manager guide" and unable to find the relevent netbackup command that
can do this, any hints/suggestions ?  ( and where can I find the man page
the command that is under /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/admincmd, such as
bpschedreq )

TIA,

Jason

PS: with Legato networker, I used to query the media and volume database
using mminfo, mmlocate, mmpool , nsrmm etc, and use that info. to predict
the backup media used. However,  I've not able to find their
counter part in  Netbackup, I'm fairly new to Netbackup, through.