Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] (no subject)

2001-06-25 11:08:26
Subject: [Veritas-bu] (no subject)
From: David A. Chapa" <david AT xbpadm-commands DOT com (David A. Chapa)
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2001 08:08:26 -0700 (PDT)
Well, if you want to keep that machine as a media
server, then you would want to move all of the MASTER
related dbs to a new MASTER server.

That is everything except /usr/openv/netbackup/db/media.

The media DB is unique to each media server in your NBU
domain.  This contains information about the tape IT
owns and has written to.

My steps are a bit more lengthy because it keeps the
original master in place, demotes it to a media server
and transitions to a new master server.

Its just a matter of understanding what's required for
each server function.

Short of me posting my consulting documents, I would
suggest you refer to the troubleshooting guide for
additional assistance in understanding the different
dbs and their functions as it pertains to either master
or media servers.

David

Quoting "W. Curtis Preston" <curtis AT backupcentral DOT com>:

> That's what a master server IS is the one that holds
the catalog.  You
> can't demote it without losing the catalog.
>
> There are also issues with NetBackup storing the name
of the master in it's

> catalog, so the general practice when changing a
box's purpose is to keep
> the master's name the SAME.  Looking at your
question, I'm going to assume
> that you're going to promote another box as master.
Here's what I would
> do.
>
> 1. Shutdown all NBU services.  (Use bp.kill_all to be
sure)
> 2. Use dump to backup the entire /usr/openv directory.
>     (This is my preference, not all will agree.  Tar
may cause problems
> with sparse files, although I'm not sure if NBU has
any.)
>     BTW, use hostdump.sh to get a quick, easy backup
of any filesystem:
> http://www.backupcentral.com/mytools.html
> 3. Shut off this host
> 4. Make the new master with the same hostname (and
same IP if you can help
> it)
> 5. Install NBU master software on new master
>     (Although you'll be restoring /usr/openv, you
want the packages and all

> to be there.)
> 6. Restore /usr/open from the dump backup.
> 7. Start up the services and run some test backups.
> 8. Once you're sure everything is working right, THEN
you can blow away
> what's in /usr/openv on the old master
>     (Keep that backup around just in case.)
> 9. Then reinstall the old master as a media server
and follow standard
> procedures for that.
>

> At 11:15 AM 6/22/2001 -0700, you wrote:
>
> >Does anyone know how to demote a master server to
just a media server and
> >not loose the catalog?
> >

> ---
> W. Curtis Preston
> Principal Consultant for Storage Designs, your
storage experts
> Webmaster: http://www.backupcentral.com Phone: 760
631 7991

bu

David A. Chapa
Consulting Manager
DataStaff, Inc.
847 413 1144
http://www.consulting.datastaff.com
http://www.xbpadm-commands.com
NBU-LSERV AT datastaff DOT com - Adv. Scripting