Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Alternate Restore on Netware is Slow

2001-06-19 12:14:13
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Alternate Restore on Netware is Slow
From: RYAN_ANDERSON AT udlp DOT com (RYAN ANDERSON)
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2001 11:14:13 -0500
Scott Jacobson wrote:

> Some ideas . .
>
> 1. Could be network, ie. different router interfaces, multiple nics, full/half
> duplex setting on your nic cards or network hub/switches.
>
> 2. Virus scanners set to "in-bound" scanning will also create the performance
> problems your describing.
>
> 3. If your network is complicated you may want to try using the
> "required_interface" in the BP.INI file.
>
> Scott J.

> Hello All,
> I have scoured the Archive Pages to no avail on this one.
> Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
>
> The problem is that when I restore from Client A's backup
> to Client B's storage on Netware 4 or 5 the restore crawls
> along at about 1gig/hr. When I restore from Client A's backup
> back to Client A's storage the restore flows through at a
> healthy 9gig/hr.
> Incidently Client B to Client B is also nice and quick.
>
> Any ideas?
> Regards,
> Leo

What helped us was taking the advice listed in this technote:

I also got some further instructions on Max Packets In/Out settings for
NetWare I got from Veritas, but I can't access a NetWare machine right
now. I'll post them when I get a hold of them.

RCA
--
Ryan C. Anderson       | United Defense L.P.
ryan_anderson AT udlp DOT com | pager 952.235.9936