Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Image Database consistency check - interpretting output

2001-06-06 14:39:16
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Image Database consistency check - interpretting output
From: scott.kendall AT abbott DOT com (scott.kendall AT abbott DOT com)
Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2001 13:39:16 -0500
I know for a fact that I have seen an article about this on Veritas's web
site.  Sorry, and hopefully someone from Veritas is listening, but I never
have any luck finding things on the web site.  It seems like the search engine
never finds what I am looking for, even though articles on the topic often
exist.

Anyway, the article described it and yes, it can be caused by running out of
disk space.

Here's what I can remember.

In netbackup/db/images/client_name/xxxxxx directory you'll find files with
names like class_backupid_type and class_backupid_type.f.  The first file is a
summary of the job and the .f file is the actual list of files in the backup.

The bad image header error comes from when either: 1.) one exists without the
other... I think the regular file exists without the .f file, but I'm not
positive or 2.) one of them is 0 KB in size... again can't remember which one,
but I think it's the .f file that's 0 KB.  Just delete the pair of files
causing the problem and the errors go away.  Be careful because when you
delete these files, the backup their associated with is no longer in the
catalog.  If I remember, it also said that these 0 KB files were unusable, so
you couldn't restore from their associated backups anyway.

- Scott

                    Jim VandeVegt

                    <vandevegt AT yahoo DOT com>                To:
veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
                    Sent by:                             cc:

                    veritas-bu-admin AT mailman DOT eng.        Subject:
[Veritas-bu] Image Database consistency check -
                    auburn.edu                           interpretting output

                    06/05/2001 01:44 PM

> I've been using
> bpexpdate -recalculate ...
> to apply new expiration dates to images that previously had
> infinity
> retentions.
>
> I started getting the error message:
> "event out of order, database inconsistency"
>
> Reading the FAQ, I found out about the
> bpdbm -consistency
> command and ran it.

OK, so now that I have looked at that output, I see a whole bunch of
"Bad image header" and file "does not exist" errors.

I'm going from memory, but I think the time frame where these images
have shown up was right about when my DB filesystem filled up during
a backup session.

So now what do I do?

Is it safe to delete the image files after confirming they're also
not present in the INDEX directory?

=====
Jim VandeVegt
vandevegt AT yahoo DOT com vandevegt AT avaya DOT com
http://members.xoom.com/vandevegt
There is no luck except where there is discipline.