Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Problems backing up NT media server mounting NAS box

2001-06-04 19:08:51
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Problems backing up NT media server mounting NAS box
From: steven.zunker AT guidant DOT com (Zunker, Steven (STP))
Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2001 18:08:51 -0500
All,

We have a NAS box running CIFS that we are trying to back up by mapping up
the NAS filesystems onto a Windows 2000 media server. The Windows 2000 media
server is connected to 4 drives from a 9740 that is controlled by our
Netbackup master running Solaris 2.6. The Win2k media server is running
Netbackup Datacenter version 3.4.1 on a Windows 2000 OS. Our Netbackup
master (Solaris 2.6) is running Netbackup Datacenter version 3.4 patch
J085645 (ie Patch equivalent to 3.4.1 under Unix)

The problem we are running into is the backups sit idle after they are
initially kicked off for 1-2 hours depending on the size of the filesystem
being backed up. After this time the backups run successfully. From a
network trace it looks like the media server is going down all directory
paths that are to be backed up before the actual backup occurs.

Does anyone have any experience backing up a NAS box by mounting the NAS
filesystems on a Windows2000 client?? If so has anyone seen this issue
before?? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Steve Zunker
Systems Administrator
Guidant Corporation