Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Differences of backup exec and Netbackup

2001-05-30 13:58:48
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Differences of backup exec and Netbackup
From: charles.somogyi AT bms DOT com (Charles R Somogyi)
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 13:58:48 -0400
I could never come across appropriate documentation comparing the
two products.

I recently had the NetWare admins approach me regarding their
machines being backed via our NB environment (NB 3.4/HP-UX 11.0).
It was mentioned to me at that time that they had heard that NB
cannot handle NSS (NetWare filesystems) as well as Backup Exec.
That is when I tried looking for documentation regarding the
issue. The only info I could find was in the archives of this
user group. I did find that people complained about the NB agent
crashing NetWare servers and that Backup Exec was a good tool for
NetWare backups. I am not happy about bringing in a new product
especially since I cannot administer B Exec form NB and there is
a whole learning curve that our operators would have to go
through.

Has anybody else heard anything along these lines?

Charlie Somogyi
BMS
Princeton , NJ
609-818-3589