Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Whats the Difference?

2001-05-30 00:14:36
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Whats the Difference?
From: bill.wiessner AT veritas DOT com (Bill Wiessner)
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 00:14:36 -0400
Jeffery,

The DBE for Oracle is a product that has many more tools for Oracle
including Quick I/O and Cached Quick I/O.  It also has the pieces for
Storage Checkpoints, which is the ability to take snapshots of your database
or specific tablespaces in your database to do faster recoveries.  In
addition it has the bits for Block Level Incremental Backups (BLIB) which is
the ability to write those Storage Checkpoints to tape.  BLIB requires you
to have NetBackup installed as well.

Even if you use Storage Checkpoints, you should still be doing hot (or cold)
database backups.  So from my point of view the Database Edition for Oracle
is not a replacement for doing hot database backups with the Oracle
Extension for NBU, but rather an essential piece to the whole solution.

Bill Wiessner

 <http://www.veritas.com/> VERITAS Software

Systems Engineer DoD/Intelligence

Office:    410-877-7689