Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] UNIX vs. NT for NBU 3.4

2001-05-18 12:48:48
Subject: [Veritas-bu] UNIX vs. NT for NBU 3.4
From: David A. Chapa" <david AT xbpadm-commands DOT com (David A. Chapa)
Date: Fri, 18 May 2001 09:48:48 -0700 (PDT)
Well...

One of my clients is a pure NT shop (current Master is
NT4SP6a) with 2000 clients and media servers.  I am
setting up an ADIC Scalar 1000 with 12 DLT drives in a
DELL SAN (brocade and crossroads).  All "seems" to be
going well, however, being a Unix person I find it very
difficult to quickly navigate, customize (scripts) and
configure (I prefer tpconfig versus a GUI) and monitor
logs (tail -f) on an NT machine without MKS Toolkit
(which I've been lucky enough to have them purchase for
me as a compromise to having a solaris box as the
master ;-).

I still believe that the best configuration will have a
Solaris machine as the Master with whatever else is
supported as the media servers.  Call it old school but
since Solaris is (or was) the primary development
platform for the NBU team, and all of my scripts and
tools move right into place without question (even
using MKS toolkit you have to modify certain things),
it just seems to make sense if you can keep the Solaris
box as the master.

But if not, it can be done!  I'm doing it (with a
little help from my friends at MKS).

Just my four cents (hot air prices have sky rocketed)

David

Quoting BJ Stewart <bstewart AT esri DOT com>:

> Everyone -
>
> My company is currently running NBU 3.4 on a Sun 450
> with Solaris 8. It is connected to our network via a
Gigabit Ethernet card.
> It is also connected to a ADIC Scalar 1000, with AIT2
drives. We are
> considering moving our entire system over to
Microsoft 2000 server.
> Is there anyone running this type of configuration on
NT/2000 ?
> Has anyone shopped the pros and cons of UNIX vs PC
for this application.
> Any feed back and comments is much appreciated.
>
> Thank-you
>
> BJ Stewart

bu

David A. Chapa
Consulting Manager
DataStaff, Inc.
847 413 1144
http://www.consulting.datastaff.com
http://www.xbpadm-commands.com
NBU-LSERV AT datastaff DOT com - Adv. Scripting