Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] NDMP errors during 3-way backup

2001-05-11 12:34:48
Subject: [Veritas-bu] NDMP errors during 3-way backup
From: neil AT mbari DOT org (Conner, Neil)
Date: Fri, 11 May 2001 09:34:48 -0700
We just installed a second Network Appliance F740 and configured it for
clustering.  Both
filers are running 6.0.1.R3.

The original F740 has a tape library attached via SCSI and backups run fine
on it using Netbackup 3.4 patch 559 on Solaris 8.

I'm trying to do a three-way backup of the new filer.   On the master
server, I set up authentication with "set_ndmp_attr" and I've verified that
the master can connect to the new filer.

I added the new filer into the same class as the existing filer.
There is one volume configured, /vol/vol0.  When I try to back it up,
Veritas aborts with Error 99. The All Logs entry shows:

5/10/2001       3:05:33 PM      squid   tempest Warning WRN - Cannot backup
filepath /vol/vol0, NDMP_HALT_INTERNAL_ERROR occurred (path may not exist),
skipping

The new filer reports the following messages in syslog:

Thu May 10 15:06:04 PDT [tempest: Java Thread:warning]: Ndmpd10: Top level
IOException
Thu May 10 15:06:04 PDT [tempest: Java Thread:warning]: Ndmpd10: IO
exception: Socket closed.

This is the output from ndmpd probe <session> on the new filer:

ndmpd ON.
Session: 10
  isActive:               TRUE
  protocol version:       2
  effHost:                Local
  authorized:             TRUE
  client addr:            134.89.10.149:41047
  spt.device_id:          none
  spt.ha:                 -1
  spt.scsi_id:            -1
  spt.scsi_lun:           -1