Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] OTM Tuning and NBU 3.4

2001-05-07 17:37:40
Subject: [Veritas-bu] OTM Tuning and NBU 3.4
From: scott.kendall AT abbott DOT com (scott.kendall AT abbott DOT com)
Date: Mon, 7 May 2001 16:37:40 -0500
I believe you may have this backwards in your e-mail.  OTM_Quiescent_Wait is
the amount of "quiet" time that must occur before OTM is initialized.
OTM_Quiescent_Timeout is the window in which the OTM_Quiescent_Wait must
occur.

Therefore, what you have in your e-mail is telling OTM to wait for 300 seconds
of quiescent time (time without any writes) within a 60 second window before
it can initialize.  I don't know what OTM would do if you told it to look for
a longer period of time than the window allowed.  I would guess that there
would not be any errors, but that the backup would timeout at the 60 second
mark and start the backup without OTM since it wasn't able to get 300 seconds
of quiet time.

If there are no problems with open files, I would leave the defaults.

If the client is getting status 1 (partially successful), you probably want to
increase the timeout first.  Keep in mind, that if you make this too large you
will run into other issues (default for Client Read Timeout on the client is
300 sec.).  Once you have the OTM timeout to 2 or 3 minutes, you then probably
want to look at decreasing the wait value from the default of 5 seconds down
to something like 3.

For more information on OTM look at the web site of the people who write this
for Veritas.  I don't know their URL, but the company is Columbia Data
Products.

- Scott

                    "Reese, Paul E. (CAP, CMC)"

                    <Paul_Reese AT mortgage.ge DOT com>         To:
"'veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu'"
                    Sent by:                             <veritas-bu AT
mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
                    veritas-bu-admin AT mailman DOT eng.        cc:

                    auburn.edu                           Subject:
[Veritas-bu] OTM Tuning and NBU 3.4

                    05/04/2001 02:57 PM

Has anyone messed around with tuning OTM in connection with NBU 3.4?  I was
looking for anything to be wary of when changing the OTM_Quiescent_Timeout and
the OTM_Quiescent_Wait parms. I have the OTM Tuning white paper, but it
doesn't tell you much other than what the field is for and the default value.
I was thinking of pushing the OTM_Quiescent_Timeout value to 60 seconds and
the OTM_Quiescent_Wait to 300 seconds.  Thoughts?