Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] NetWare Backups

2001-05-03 14:53:06
Subject: [Veritas-bu] NetWare Backups
From: RYAN_ANDERSON AT udlp DOT com (RYAN ANDERSON)
Date: Thu, 3 May 2001 13:53:06 -0500
"White; Steve" wrote:

> Has anyone managed to come up with any tricks for speeding up
> backup/recovery of NetWare clients (non-target) when you have hundreds of
> thousands of small files?
>
> Thanks!!
>
> Steve White

I used the suggestion Bob Bakh (Note: Thanks Bob) gave previously on
this list, then posted it here because it worked so well for me:

http://www.backupcentral.com/foms/netbackup-serve/cache/160.html

Doing this involves changing your servers over to 'target'
configuration, it also gives the greatest benefit if your data resides
is scattered to at least a couple volumes. Doing this has some
unintended consequences. When I changed one large NetWare fileserver the
speed improvement was amazing, as I changed over the others the speed
improved, but not by as much. Instead of NetWare being the bottleneck,
my new bottleneck is the drives and network. Thus, I need to muck with
MPX and network settings.

RCA
--
Ryan C. Anderson        |   United Defense L.P.
Unix Administrator      |   763.572.6684 (desk)