Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Monthly Backup on NT Client

2001-04-20 19:41:32
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Monthly Backup on NT Client
From: scott.kendall AT abbott DOT com (scott.kendall AT abbott DOT com)
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 18:41:32 -0500
You don't need to use bpexpdate to do this.

If the backup window opens for more than one schedule and the client has more
than one of the backups due, the backup with the longest frequency (backed up
least often) will run.  If they have the same frequency, a full will run over
an incremental.

For example, the following three schedules in a class would allow backups to
happen within the window any night of the week, but would only do one backup
each night.  It would do a full once every week and an incremental on nights
that it did not do a full.  Every fourth full would be kept for 13 months,
instead of 13 weeks, because the fullbkps-monthly schedule has a frequency of
4 weeks.

Schedule:        fullbkps-monthly
Type:            Full Backup
Frequency:       4 weeks
Retention Level: 13 months
Daily Windows:   every night from 20:00 -> 04:00

Schedule:        fullbkps
Type:            Full Backup
Frequency:       1 week
Retention Level: 13 weeks
Daily Windows:   every night from 20:00 -> 04:00

Schedule:        incrbkps
Type:            Incremental Backup
Frequency:       1 day
Retention Level: 1 month
Daily Windows:   every night from 20:00 -> 04:00

If you want to specify what night the full is done, you can change the windows
on both fulls to the same time on, for instance, Fri night.  The same thing
will apply... every 4th Fri a full backup will run with the monthly full
retention, and on the rest of the fridays a full will run with the weekly full
retention.

If you do this, there are two more things you can do to have greater control
over the backups.  For example, instead of setting up the fulls on Friday, set
them up for Friday and Saturday.  This way, if the system didn't get it's
backup on Fri (maintenance, errors, closed window, etc.) it will automatically
do it on Sat.  Leave the incremental on Sat and if the full ran on Fri, the
incremental would run Sat.  If the full runs Sat, the incrmental doesn't run.
Additionally, you could change the frequency on the fulls to something like 2
days (for the weekly) and 23 days (for the monthly).  The reason for this is
that if it missed it's backup on Friday and then ran on Saturday, the next
full would run again the following Saturday if you had a one week frequency
(assuming the monthly full wasn't due on Fri).  Your backups are now "shifted"
and this defeats the purpose of leaving the two days open instead of just one.
Having the short frequency will put your next full back to the Friday.  The
other reason for shortening the frequency is that if for instance, someone ran
a manual backup on Tuesday, on Fri and Sat a backup wouldn't run if you had a
1 week frequency because it was only 3 and 4 days since the last successful
backup.  The full wouldn't run until the following Fri, giving you 10 days
between fulls.  Shortening the frequency will stop this from happening.

- Scott

                    kkadams AT mmm DOT com

                    Sent by:                             To:     "Dennis Dwyer"
<dfdwyer AT tecoenergy DOT com>,
                    veritas-bu-admin AT mailman DOT eng.        veritas-bu AT
mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
                    auburn.edu                           cc:

                                                         Subject:     Re:
[Veritas-bu] Monthly Backup on NT Client

                    04/20/2001 08:43 AM

We are in the same situation.,
Our solution (not tested, only theory) run regular Weekly full backups and
then
use bpexpdate to change the retention on the images.

|--------+------------------------->
|        |          "Dennis Dwyer" |
|        |          <dfdwyer@tecoen|
|        |          ergy.com>      |
|        |                         |
|        |          04/19/01 04:03 |
|        |          PM             |
|        |                         |
|--------+------------------------->

----------------------------------------------------------------------------|

  |     To:     charles.somogyi AT bms DOT com
|
  |       veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
|
  |     cc:     (bcc: Khris K. Adams/CA-Canada/3M/US)
|
  |     Subject:     Re: [Veritas-bu] Monthly Backup on NT Client

----------------------------------------------------------------------------|

You don't say whether your NBU servers are NT or UNIX but let me tell you what
did. I'm running NetBackup 3.2 on a Sun E450 and I too needed a way to backup
server with a 6 month retention period on the first Saturday of the month and
5 week retention period every other time. Here's what I did:

I built a script on the NetBackup server that extracts the current date. If
it's
less than or equal to 7, I make the assumption that it's the first Saturday
and
I execute a backup command that uses a 6 month schedule. Otherwise I use a 5
week schedule. Then every Saturday morning at 0830, I set up an entry in
crontab
to execute my script. Here's the script:

#!/bin/ksh

# nt_cold_bkup
#
# Created By:  Dennis Dwyer
# Create Date: 02/07/2001
#
# Platform: NetBackup Master Server
#
# This script is executed via crontab every Saturday to determine if
# it's the first Saturday of the month in order to submit the appropriate
# backup schedule for COLD server. The requirements are that one
# set of backups per month need to be retained for 6 months. All remaining
# backups for the month can be retained for the customary 5 weeks.
#

# variable definitions

let day=`date +%d`  # Get current day of month (DOM)

# script

if [ $day -le 7 ]   # If current DOM is less/equal to 7 - 6 mo retention
   then
      /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/bpbackup -i -c nt_cold -s weekly_full_6mo -S
<nbu
server name>
   else
      /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/bpbackup -i -c nt_cold -s weekly_full_5wk -S
<nbu
server name>
fi

I probably don't need the name of the NBU server because I'm executing this on
the server that will do the backup. I just did it to avoid confusion on
anyone's
part who may have to follow me. It's a whole nother can of worm if you want to
do the last Friday of the month.

Hope this was helpful.

Regards,
Dennis

Quote: "Time is not a test of the truth"
Translation: Just because you've always done it that way, doesn't make it
right

Dennis F. Dwyer
Enterprise Storage Manager
Tampa Electric Company

(813) 225-5181  - Voice
(813) 275-3599  - FAX

Visit our corporate website at www.tecoenergy.com

>>> Charles R Somogyi <charles.somogyi AT bms DOT com> 04/19/01 02:54PM >>>
All:

We have an NT administrator that is asking to make the first
Saturday's FULL the monthly backup (with a 13 month retention as
opposed to the weekly retention of 1 month). The admin does not
want to run user directed backups (does not want to administer
the AT Scheduler or install 3rd party product). Does anybody have
any idea how to automate the process of making the first
Saturday's backup the monthly (or the one with the monthly
retention)? There will be 300 NT machines that need this process
in place so it cannot be a manual process to change the retention
on the tapes used on the first Saturday. This would be so much
easier if the scheduler in NetBackup could be used as a scheduler
(some type of calendar).

Thanks all.

Charlie Somogyi
BMS