Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] [Veritas-bu]NBU V3.4 with Oracle 8i Rman backups running at half speed

2001-04-16 13:35:25
Subject: [Veritas-bu] [Veritas-bu]NBU V3.4 with Oracle 8i Rman backups running at half speed
From: bryan_bahnmiller AT agilent DOT com (bryan_bahnmiller AT agilent DOT com)
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 11:35:25 -0600
Anthony,

  Remember that the Oracle engine has to pull the data out of the database
and RMAN forms it into a datastream to send to Veritas. (DBA's may correct
me on this.)

  Does the database server have enough cpu to do this? Or, more likely, does
the database server have enough disk I/O to pull the Oracle data off the
disk?

  There may also be some tuning you can do for Oracle too, but generally, if
you have hardware bottlenecks (cpu and/or I/O) they tend to be orders of
magnitude greater than what tuning can provide.

  I would first check your DB server cpu and I/O during a backup.

     Bryan

Bryan Bahnmiller
Agilent Technologies