Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Typical NT exclude lists

2001-04-10 13:00:44
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Typical NT exclude lists
From: dfdwyer AT tecoenergy DOT com (Dennis Dwyer)
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2001 13:00:44 -0400
On a related note, I ran into a problem trying to restore NT 4.0 on a running
server (the process documented in the NBU documentation) so we circumvented it
in a different fashion. This method only works if you have the drive space to
do it in.

I needed to restore an entire server that had a c: and d: drive. We chose to
partition off an e: drive and use it for the target of our c: drive restore. We
then did a d: drive restore and the NT admin guys copied the contents of e:
over to c: (how, I couldn't tell you). We then rebooted the system using the
restored c: drive. I'm sure there were other processes going on there that I
wasn't aware of (like another boot in the middle of all this). Kinda klugy? You
bet, but it worked perfectly the first time out of the box. If anyone is
interested in all the steps let me know and I'll get with our NetTech group and
document it.

Regards,
Dennis Dwyer
Tampa Electric Company

Quote: "Time is not a test of the truth"
Translation: Just because you've always done it that way, doesn't make it right

Dennis F. Dwyer
Enterprise Storage Manager
Tampa Electric Company

(813) 225-5181  - Voice
(813) 275-3599  - FAX

Visit our corporate website at www.tecoenergy.com

>>> <scott.kendall AT abbott DOT com> 04/10/01 12:22PM >>>
For a Windows NT 4.0 OS recovery, I prefer to install NT in an alternate
location (e.g. c:\winnt2).  Then install your backup software and do the
restore.  Doing it this way allows the restore to write all the original
files, including the registry files, into their original locations without
worrying about having to overwrite a file that is in use.  When you're done,
just remove the alternate installation folder.  This was the way  I learned it
from the 3.51 days and have always done it this way for NT 4.0 as well.

Windows 2000 is a little different with it's System State backup and the way
it does restores.  System State restores require you to restore them to the
running OS, therefore the recovery installation needs to be the same location
as the original.

- Scott

                    ben AT mizuhocap DOT com

                    Sent by:                             To:     veritas-bu AT
mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
                    veritas-bu-admin AT mailman DOT eng.        cc:

                    auburn.edu                           Subject:
[Veritas-bu] Typical NT exclude lists

                    04/05/2001 11:47 AM

                    Please respond to ben

Hello all,

My backup experience is more on the UNIX side of things so please
forgive me if there is a real easy, obvious answer here that I am
unaware of.

We are trying to do a full NT restore using the steps that are listed in
Chapter 5 of the Troubleshooting guide.  We had been unsuccessful until
today.  In the past, we used the OTM to backup open files.  Then we did
a full restore and upon bootup, the machine would crash because the
ntoskrnl.exe file was one of those open files that was backed-up, so it
was also restored and got corrupted in the restore process.  We then
re-tried the whole process, this time excluding the ntoskrnl.exe file
and BOOM, it worked.  The machine booted up fine and appeared on the
domain.  Excellent.

My question now would be what other NT files should we be excluding on a
default NT machine?  What is the typical NT exclude lists that you folks
are using?  We are thinking that just because the machine booted
properly, that doesn't mean that the machine is 100% ok.  Any help here
would be greatly appreciated.

Ben Piela
Mizuho Capital

This e-mail contains information some or all of which may be
confidential, proprietary and/or legally privileged.  If an addressing
or transmission error has misdirected this e-mail, please notify the
sender by replying to this e-mail.  If you are not the intended
recipient you must not use, disclose, distribute, copy, print or rely on
this e-mail.