Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Pushing updated bp.conf files

2001-04-10 11:17:18
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Pushing updated bp.conf files
From: scott.kendall AT abbott DOT com (scott.kendall AT abbott DOT com)
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2001 10:17:18 -0500
Here is my two cents on the Registry...

I prefer to use Reg.exe from the resource kit to do Registry scripting (be
careful Windows NT & Windows 2000 reskits have different version of this
utility that use different syntax).  Reg allows you to do things locally as
well as remotely.  It is very useful to run from your desk in a "for" loop to
make a change on multiple machines all at once.

You can also use NT's System Policies to make the changes.  You can create a
custom .adm file (template) to use with the System Policy Editor.  I believe
NetBackup also ships with an .adm file from Veritas that you can use.  See
your NT admin for more information on System Policies.  This may or may not be
the right choice, depending on whether or not they are already using policies
for other stuff.   fyi... most people don't realize that you can apply
REG_MULTI_SZ entries with System Policies because they can't be seen in System
Policy Editor.  You can also edit a policy file (*.pol) by loading it as a
hive into regedt32 and making your changes, saving the key and then unloading
it.

Another very useful way is to create a file (the file can also be exported
with regedit.exe) and then to merge this file into the registry via a script
ran on the local machine.  This method is good for scripting a customized
installation of NetBackup at the end of an unattended OS installation.  The
command

regedit.exe /s filename.reg

would merge the entries in the following file to the registry.  REG_MULTI_SZ
entries can be done this way but are in hex, so it's best to create it in the
registry once and then export it via regedit.exe to see what it should look
like.  Example contents of filename.reg:

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Veritas\NetBackup\CurrentVersion\Config]
"SERVER_SENDS_MAIL"="YES"
"OTM_Use"="YES"
"OTM_Cache_Size_Max"=dword:00000000

If you're not scripting and just want to do something remotely, don't forget
that regedit and regedt32 allow you to connect to a remote registry and make
changes assuming that you have the correct permissions/rights to do so.

... and coincidentally, the April issue of Windows 2000 Magazine also happens
to have an article on Registry editing for those of you interested.

- Scott

                    fx AT veritas DOT com

                    Sent by:                             To:     veritas-bu AT
mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
                    veritas-bu-admin AT mailman DOT eng.        cc:

                    auburn.edu                           Subject:     Re:
[Veritas-bu] Pushing updated bp.conf files

                    04/04/2001 09:18 AM

 i am this guy ;-)

> "if you definitely want to edit it manually, you must use
> regedt32, as regedit can't do REG_MULTI_SIZE."
>
> (And REG_MULTI_SIZE is what NBU uses.)  Any confirmation on this?

 i confirm. but i think there is a mistake here. regedit and regedt32
are tools to *interactively* edit the Windows registry. you're
speaking about *scripting*, so neither of those tools are what you
want.

 you'll need some registry command line utility to do so. there
are plenty of those; some links which could help:

 http://www.windows2000faq.com/Articles/Index.cfm?ArticleID=20447
 http://www.windows2000faq.com/Articles/Index.cfm?ArticleID=14741
 http://www.win2000mag.com/Articles/Index.cfm?ArticleID=3456

 Amicalement,
              fx

#include <VRTS/std_disclaimer.h>

--
     fx AT Veritas DOT com       | Wind catches lily
François-Xavier Peretmere | scatt'ring petals to the wind.