Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Thinking outside of the san-box

2001-04-05 19:00:48
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Thinking outside of the san-box
From: scott.kendall AT abbott DOT com (scott.kendall AT abbott DOT com)
Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2001 18:00:48 -0500
Sorry if everyone gets another copy of this tomorrow.  My first post was sent
to the list's moderator since the "e-mail team" somehow changed the alias that
they had setup for me with my old address as the sender address.  I decided it
was time to finally change all my lists addresses and give in to this new
address.
__________________________

Yes, it will work.

Two roles that exist in an SSO environment are the Device Allocation Host and
the Device Scan Host.  The Device Scan Host is dynamic and will be "chosen" by
SSO.  The Device Allocation Host is always the Volume Database Host.

volmgr\bin\vmdareq is the CLI way to view and configure SSO.

As you have below, all of the media servers (regardless of which NetBackup
cluster they belong to) will have to talk to the robot through the same
Robotic Control Host, since there is only one control path that can control
the robot.  Additionally, all of the media servers will have to use the same
Volume Database Host, as you have listed below, so the drives are all
allocated from a central location.

The information below is from page 75 of the latest SSO document on Veritas's
web site.

"To coordinate network-wide allocation of tape drives, vmd/DA acts as a
central clearing
agent for all NetBackup and Storage Migrator shared tape requests in a storage
area
network. vmd/DA responds to requests from multiple instances of NetBackup
Master
Server, Media Server, or Storage Migrator (the Media Manager versions must be
the
same). This means you can run any number of NetBackup Master Servers and
Storage
Migrator (or Storage Migrator Remote) servers and share tape resources across
all servers
in the storage network."

Scott Kendall
Hospital Products Division
Abbott Laboratories

                    david AT datastaff DOT com

                    Sent by:                             To:     veritas-bu AT
mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
                    veritas-bu-admin AT mailman DOT eng.        cc:

                    auburn.edu                           Subject:
[Veritas-bu] Thinking outside of the san-box

                    04/05/2001 04:58 PM

                    Please respond to david

Okay here's one for the thinkers out there.  I have a
client that wants to do this, and I think on paper it
is feasible.  I'd like to know if anyone has tried this
and what caveats have cropped up as a result.

NBU 3.4 NT Environment
SSO
DELL SANS ( not that this is REAL important but worth
mentioning)
ADIC 1000 - 12 DLT 8000

This environment will have a master server and three -
four media servers.

Master Server (BAK01) = Volume DataBase Host
Media1 - MasterServer=BAK01 -  VolHost=BAK01, RC=BAK01
Media2 - MasterServer=BAK01 -  VolHost=BAK01, RC=BAK01
Media3 - MasterServer=BAK01 -  VolHost=BAK01, RC=BAK01

Media4 - MasterServer=BAK02 -  VolHost=BAK01, RC=BAK01
                      ^^^^^            ^^^^^     ^^^^^

*RC=Robotic Control Host

BAK02 is another Master Server in another building.

Can the above be done?

With SSO?

Has anyone done it?

If this doesn't make sense, I have a visio diagram I'm
finishing up that I can send which may paint a clearer
picture.

Thanks!!!

David
David A. Chapa