Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Novell backups - again

2001-04-04 13:05:09
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Novell backups - again
From: RYAN_ANDERSON AT udlp DOT com (RYAN ANDERSON)
Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2001 12:05:09 -0500
Your VAR (just like everyone else ;-) doesn't use the NetWare NetBackup
client, so they don't know. Look at page 36 in the 3.2 NetBackup Target
Version Users Guide, and you'll see how to do this. NetWare is a little
different since most all configurations are done on the client itself
because of the bastard nature of NetWare. I haven't done this, but I've
excluded backing certain types of file (*.cca for instance) using the
selection list. In excluding the type of file I didn't want backed up,
the file names would show up in xbp as being there--I just couldn't
restore it. You may get the same problem in including/excluding
directories.

Give this a try yourself. Your VAR doesn't know much and my experience
is that Veritas doesn't know a whole lot about the NetWare client either
(no offense). Hell, I don't care about the client either, but I have to
backup NetWare, so....

Regards,

RCA

> Wondering if anyone else is running into this.  My VAR is telling me
> that I can't do individual directory/file backups on a targeted Novell
> client.  Anyone know for sure if this is true?
>
> I was looking through the doc's today (just got them last night...) and
> it looks like the selection list will allow me to set individual paths
> to be backed up or excluded.  The way I understood it was that if I put
> something in the exclude list it will backup the entire server minus
> that path, if I put something in the include list it will only backup
> that path (plus any other paths listed).
>
> Can anyone confirm this?  Or maybe I'm totally wrong and I can't do
> granular backups of Novell clients.  Of course, that would be absurd....
>
> Thanks.
> --
> Jeff Kennedy
> Unix Administrator
> AMCC
> jlkennedy AT amcc DOT com

Ryan C. Anderson        |   United Defense L.P.
Unix Administrator      |   763.572.6684 (desk)
ryan_anderson AT udlp DOT com  |   952.235.9936 (pager)