Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Error 84

2001-04-04 11:35:55
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Error 84
From: dfdwyer AT tecoenergy DOT com (Dennis Dwyer)
Date: Wed, 04 Apr 2001 11:35:55 -0400
Define excessive? I'm running NBU 3.2 on a Solaris E450 with an L11000 library
and I'm having similar problems. I usually freeze the tape in question so it
won't get mounted again. When the last image has expired, I remove the tape
from service. I have replaced several drives in the library because it appeared
that the failures were always occurring on the same two drive here lately.
However, I have also noticed that 99% of my tape problems are with Fuji tapes
(I have Fuji, Quantum and Compaq). There have been a previous conversation that
indicate all DLT tapes are created equal (and by the same manufacturer) but I'm
not sure I buy that. Especially when you consider that the reason we bought the
Fuji tapes in the first place was because they were the least expensive. If all
are created equal (i.e. by the same manufacturer) why don't they cost the same
and perform the same?

Regards,
Dennis

Quote: "Time is not a test of the truth"
Translation: Just because you've always done it that way, doesn't make it right

Dennis F. Dwyer
Enterprise Storage Manager
Tampa Electric Company

(813) 225-5181  - Voice
(813) 275-3599  - FAX

Visit our corporate website at www.tecoenergy.com

>>> Charles R Somogyi <charles.somogyi AT bms DOT com> 04/04/01 11:21AM >>>
Hello All:

Anybody get an excessive amount of 84's in their 3.2 NB on HPUX
11.00 environment? We use STK's and HP L700's. Firmware is
recent. We have 4 other environments just like this one but the
84's are non-stop in this one environment.
Easy enough fix (clean drive or replace media and rerun job) but
we have the operators running around all night fixing these 84's.

Charlie Somogyi
Bristol Myers Squibb
Princeton, NJ
609-818-3589