Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Slow ExchangeServer mailbox backups

2001-04-04 11:20:14
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Slow ExchangeServer mailbox backups
From: Fdenn AT cranel DOT com (Denn, Fred)
Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2001 11:20:14 -0400
Running exchange server version 5.5 service pac 3 With NBU 3.4 patched to
645 patch level

  Problem summary:

    When performing individual mailbox backups on a large information
  store, the
    throughput decreases to the point they run too slowly to be practical.
  On a
    smaller information store, the throughput is slow, but it remains high

    enough to be usable.

    Throughput on these same two clients is absolutely fine during normal
    backups.  Following are some sample throughput averages:

    Job Type        SmallExchangeServer     BigExchangeServer
    IS/DS backup    3.6 meg/sec             3.1 meg/sec
    NT file system backup   2.2 meg/sec     1.9 meg/sec
    HKLM backup     1.3 meg/sec             1.3 meg/sec
    Mailbox backup  700 k/sec               350 k/sec

    It should be noted that all the results are obtained from backups
  during
    off-peak hours.  There are generally other backup jobs which utilize
  the
    same library and master server which run during all but the
    BigExchangeServer mailbox backup, so the above throughputs for
  everything
    but the mailbox backups of BigExchangeServer would be quicker if they
  were
    running alone.  The information store on SmallExchangeServer is 4 gig,
  and
    the information store on BigExchangeServer is just over 26 gig.

    Both the backup server and BigExchangeServer have two dual-port NICs
  (forced
    100/full) and have an ether-channeled bandwidth of 400 mb/sec.
    SmallExchangeServer is a single NIC set at 100/full.

    General mailbox backup behavior:

    Mailbox jobs on BigExchangeServer start out at roughly 700 k/sec;
  however,
    they slow down to 350 k/second (and at times less) as the backup
  progresses.
    I also have problems with timeouts.  I've bumped both the client and
  server
    read timeouts up to 15 minutes, but have continued to experience
  timeout
    problems.  They seem to manifest themselves more frequently on larger
    mailboxes.  I just bumped both timeout levels up to 20 minutes;
  however, I
    will need to wait until next weekend to test this setting.

    Mailbox jobs on SmallExchangeServer start out over 1 meg/sec and
  eventually
    slow to 700 k/sec.  I have not experienced timeouts on this server,
  and have
    kept it at the default timeout setting of 5 minutes.

    Troubleshooting:

    One suggestion I was given was to use multiple data streams.  The
  problem
    with this is that multiple data streams will not work with the
  standard job
    directive of "Microsoft Exchange Mailboxes:\".  I have not found a
  wildcard
    method, such as "back up all mailboxes beginning with 'a'" that will
  work to
    split the job up in a reasonable manner.  Thus, the only way to get
  multiple
    data streams to work is to reference each mailbox individually as a
  separate
    line item in the directive list and intersperse that with new stream
    directives.  This isn't practical with over 400 mailboxes!

    Unfortunately, due to the excessively slow throughput on the large
    information store's mailbox backups, I cannot perform a complete
  mailbox
    backup in a reasonable period of time.  It would take over three days
  at the
    average rate of 350 k/sec for this job to complete, which means I
  can't even
    set it up for the weekend.  I also cannot perform incrementals on
  mailboxes,
    per the Admin Guide.  Thus, I have no options for getting a complete
  mailbox
    backup on this server, other than defining each mailbox individually.

    It should be noted that when multiple data streams are employed by
  providing
    specific directives, the overall throughput does increase somewhat.
  Two of
    the largest mailboxes which, when backed up by themselves, have a
  throughput
    of roughly 700 k/sec on BigExchangeServer have a combined throughput
  (via
    concurrent data streams) of 950 k/sec (not a huge improvement, but
  enough to
    show that the server itself it capable of handling more).  I've also
  run
    perfmon on that server during backups to ensure it isn't being pegged
  too
    hard, and everything is running under acceptable levels.

    Backups of a handful of mailboxes at a time can result in much better
    throughput on both servers (for obvious reasons); however, anytime the

    amount of data increases, the overall throughput decreases
  significantly.  I
    do understand that mailbox backups access the database in such a way
  that
    they will be slower than IS/DS backups, and I also understand the
  reasoning
    behind why the slowness gets worse the larger the amount of data
  backed up.
    My questions are not in regard to why this is happening, but rather,
  why the
    slowness is so severe.  Another question would be what Veritas's
  comments
    are on what throughput that should be expected with what size
  information
    store.  Is what I'm seeing standard, or is it below normal?  It seems
  as
    though I shouldn't be running into limitations with only a 26 gig
    information store, as this really isn't excessively large for an IT
  shop.

  Fdenn AT cranel DOT com