Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] how important is CPU/Memory of the Master server

2001-03-30 15:29:48
Subject: [Veritas-bu] how important is CPU/Memory of the Master server
From: dmonjar AT orgtek DOT com (Daniel Monjar)
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2001 15:29:48 -0500
I am starting to put up 3.4 Datacenter.  I will be using a Quantum/ATL
P1000 with 4 DLT8000 drives.  Currently the servers are on switched
100Mb but in a couple of months I will go to switched gigabit Ethernet
on the servers.  I'll be talking to the drives using two separate
Fast/Wide/Differential SCSI cards.

I'm deciding what machine to install as the master server.  The OS
will be Compaq Tru64 5.1.  The server can be an Alpha 4100/533 with
two processors and 2GB of RAM.  Or I can use an Alpha 2100A/275 with
four processors and 640MB of RAM.  It would be more convenient to me to
use the 2100 since I could pretty much dedicate it to the task.  The
4100 has other production purposes.

The 4100 is much faster as far as CPU goes but I imagine this type of
things isn't CPU bound.

What do you think?

--
Daniel Monjar (mailto:dmonjar AT orgtek DOT com)