Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Robot time-out errors

2001-03-29 10:31:48
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Robot time-out errors
From: RYAN_ANDERSON AT udlp DOT com (RYAN ANDERSON)
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2001 09:31:48 -0600
TWGIBBAR AT up DOT com wrote:

> I was curious if anyone has ever ran across the following error:
>
> Mar 28 06:47:18 omhq1009 tldd[16061]: TLD(0) [16061] unable to connect to
> tldcd
> on omhq1009: Connection timed out (238)
>
> They're intermittent errors and have been a thorn in our side from day one.
> We
> have done many, many, many things in an attempt to stop these errors.
>   What
> happens is that the robot loses momentary communication and all tapes that are
> in the drives at the time of the error are left in the drives.  The
> robot thinks
> they're back in the proper slot and another job will come along wanting to use
> the tape and will receive a media time-out error.  I'll attempt to give
>  a basic
> rundown of our environment.
>
> HP-UX L2000 Master NetBackup Datacenter 3.4GA
> Brocade Silkworm 2800 2.2 Firmware
> StorageNet Fibre Channel / SCSI router (bridge) 3200 9913a Firmware
> STK-9710 w/ DLT700 Tape Drives Firmware 1.0.1   (Robot is directly scsi
> attached
> to HP Server -  This was changed from bridges in an attempt to
> correct problem)
>
> Any thoughts, ideas and or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
>
> -  Terry

I don't know if this would be your total solution, but I would start
with this: your STK firmware could stand to be upgraded. If you go to
http://support.veritas.com/menu_ddProduct_NETBACKUPDC.htm and click on
'compatibility lists', click down and you'll see the STK 9710 was
started testing at firmware version 1.2. We are running with 1.9.52, the
latest tested version of the firmware (BTW: DON'T use the 2.x firmware
from STK). Upgrading it is a breeze, just get a floppy disk with the
version of firmware you want from STK, stick it in the floppy drive,
then push the IPL button.

RCA
--
Ryan C. Anderson        |   United Defense L.P.
Unix Administrator      |   763.572.6684 (desk)