Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] BPFSMAP_TMPDIR

2001-03-26 20:03:46
Subject: [Veritas-bu] BPFSMAP_TMPDIR
From: todd AT certaintysolutions DOT com (Todd Stansell)
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2001 17:03:46 -0800
BPFSMAP_TMPDIR is where netbackup puts its temporary files, mainly inode
maps (as you found).  I know that NDMP backups as well as FlashBackup
backups use this location to store their inode maps.  There are probably
other pieces that use it too.  You can make this a symlink to another
partition that has more space, if you like.  And if there aren't any
processes that have the files open in that directory, then you can pretty
safely remove them.  The most common cause for the inode files to get
left over is if Netbackup froze or otherwise choked, and couldn't clean
up after itself...

Some people (with lots of extra memory) symlink it to /tmp for better
performance.  Others (what I've done before) have symlinked it to it's
own stripped filesystem for better performance...

I would imagine that it's mainly the NetApp backups that would be creating
large inode map files...and your backups might be sped up if you move
that temporary location somewhere else...

Todd