Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Netbackup 3.4 duplication problem

2001-03-23 14:04:11
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Netbackup 3.4 duplication problem
From: RYAN_ANDERSON AT udlp DOT com (RYAN ANDERSON)
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2001 13:04:11 -0600
Michael Wei wrote:

> I have seen recurring duplication problem on a system running Netbackup
> 3.4.  It only happens with duplicating backup image with TIR.  And it only
> happens with it's duplicating the TIR fragment of the backup image no
> matter how large the image is before the TIR fragment.   And it happens
> sporadically.  Most of the images with TIR are duplicated successfully.
>
> I suspect it's a bug in bptm that might have a fix for it.  Anyone has any
> ideas?

In the 3.4 J0850645 patch README:

 Duplications of True Image Restore (TIR) backups may fail with
 status 44 (network write failed) when using multiplexed duplication
 (specified by selecting "Preserve multiplexing when duplicating images"
 from the Duplicate Images GUI).

 The duplicate progress log shows messages similar to the following:
 13:32:49 INF - Begin writing True Image Recovery information for copy
2.
 13:32:51 INF - Duplicate of backupid server_name_0979843140 successful.

 13:33:03 INF - Reading True Image Recovery information from media id
TLD000.
 13:33:03 ERR - Error occurred sending TIR information to socket, No
error.
 13:33:08 INF - host server_name backup id server_name_0979843139 read
failed, network write failed (44).

 Workaround:
 The images may be successfully duplicated using non-multiplexed
duplication.
 Do not check the "Preserve multiplexing when duplicating images" on the
 Duplicate Images GUI. If using the bpduplicate command line, do not
 specify the -mpx option).

 (All NetBackup servers)

Hope this helps.

RCA
--
Ryan C. Anderson        |   United Defense L.P.
Unix Administrator      |   763.572.6684 (desk)