Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] NBU DC 3.4 daemons fail to load on AIX 4.3.3 client/media server

2001-03-22 01:07:55
Subject: [Veritas-bu] NBU DC 3.4 daemons fail to load on AIX 4.3.3 client/media server
From: jortiz AT stornet DOT com (Joseph Ortiz)
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2001 00:07:55 -0600
Hopefully some AIX expert out there can give me an idea of what to check
next on a rather stubborn problem I'm having with NBU DC 3.4 on an AIX
4.3.3 system.

We are trying to set up an AIX 4.3.3 system as a media server sharing a DLT
library which is controlled by a Win2K master running NBU DC 3.4.  The
systems all connect over a 100BT switched ethernet backbone.

This is a new system with a fresh load of AIX 4.3.3 with the latest IBM
patches on it.  The problem is that we can't even get the client daemon,
bpcd, to load.  It loads, generates a "getsockopt:" error about opening or
writing to a socket and then bpcd unloads.  Trying to get the media server
daemon bprd to run generates the same type of "getsockopt:" opening socket
error followed by an error # 37, "operation requested by an invalid server".

We have checked name resolution, client definition on the master, which is
the Win2K system, network connectivity, authentication, network settings,
NIC settings, DNS settings, contents of bp.conf, vm.conf, the entries on
the Servers tab in the masters NBU configuration section, etc. and
everything appears to be correct.  But none of the Netbackup daemons,
except vmd, will load.  We've even tried de-installing the NBU DC software
from this system and doing a fresh install of just the client
software.  But even in this simple configuration, the client daemon bpcd,
generates the getsockopt: error and unloads.  There is nothing else on this
system except NBU and AIX since it is going to be a dedicated media server.

If anyone has any ideas on what's going on or what to check, I sure would
appreciate the feedback.

Joseph

Joseph Ortiz
Sr. Solutions Engineer
StorNet, Inc.
(Formerly Vangard Technology)
* Centralized Storage Management --- High Availability *
* Data Protection --- Outsourced Storage Operations    *
* Consulting --- Support --- Training                  *