Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] up'ing a drive

2001-03-22 15:55:36
Subject: [Veritas-bu] up'ing a drive
From: David A. Chapa" <david AT datastaff DOT com (David A. Chapa)
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2001 12:55:36 -0800 (PST)
Eeeek!

Well you could do it that way...but there is a great
feature with device management that allows us to do it
a "different" way.

When you kick off this restore and the tape is not in a
library anywhere, you will get in the device mgmt
screen (or vmoprcmd -d pr [display pending requests]) a
pending request.  This request has a few things going
on inside of it.  First it tells us that it is mount
request for READ (right away we know that's a restore)
the other thing it lists is the mount request number
(we'll need that later), the EVSN, VOL GROUP, etc.

If we just let it sit there it will pend until we do
something or it timesout.  We can DENY or RESUBMIT.  If
we DENY

vmoprcmd -deny <mount request number>

then the job is 'killed'

if we

vmoprcmd -resubmit <mount request number>

then it will then attempt to find that tape in the
media manager database and perform that mount.  If it
still isn't there it goes back to a pending request.

Well once we satisfy the request, by placing the tape
in question in the library the request is destined and
update the database, we can then resubmit and the
restore job will continue without having to kill it,
etc.

A SIDE BENEFIT...

the pending request shows the volume group...this
little used feature of Media Manager.  If we employ
this feature to 'track' the location of our media
(remember with Media Manager media really only has two
types of residence, its either in the library eg. TLD
or its not - STANDALONE.  Volume groups are for
administrative purposes only) - say like, CABINET,
OFFSITE, TRANSCASE, etc.  We will know that right of
the bat with this pending request and NOT have to waste
precious time looking for this particular tape.

Pretty slick, huh?

David

David A. Chapa
Consulting Manager
DataStaff, Inc.
847 413 1144
http://www.consulting.datastaff.com
---------------------------------------
NBU-LSERV AT datastaff DOT com - Adv. Scripting

Quoting "Jason Ahrens [ahrensj AT psi DOT ca]"
<AhrensJ AT psi DOT ca>:

> I was also told (by this list) the only way to find
out what tapes are
> required for a restore it to start it, let it fail or
kill it, find out
> what
> tapes were requested, and then restart it. If this is
not the proper way,
> how is it supposed to be done? The documentation I
have does not say
> anything about this topic.
>
> Jason

tape