Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Ejecting several tapes at once from CLI

2001-03-19 08:55:53
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Ejecting several tapes at once from CLI
From: anthony.guzzi AT storability DOT com (anthony.guzzi AT storability DOT com)
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2001 08:55:53 -0500
--=_alternative 004C380B85256A14_=

The request for the <RETURN> due to the fact that the 'vmchange' command
is only designed to eject a single tape, not multiple tapes.  If you want
to eject a series of tapes, you need to put the 'vmchange' command in a
loop and, yes, you'll need to hit <RETURN> for each tape unless you
automate it.

FYI:  'vmchange' returns a status of '0' (zero) if it's able to
successfully eject the tape [that is, move it to the mail slot / cartridge
access port (CAP)].  It returns non-zero otherwise. And give that this a
Media Manager command and not a NetBackup command, the return codes are
not well documented so it's somewhat hard and confusing to tell exactly
what went wrong when something does go wrong.

-- Tony Guzzi