Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] tape capacity reporting

2001-03-14 17:19:52
Subject: [Veritas-bu] tape capacity reporting
From: Schuller, William wschuller AT Cayenta DOT com
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2001 14:19:52 -0800
This happens regularly when we do a cold backup of Oracle Data files. Even
though the file is 10GB, 1-5GB of it is likely empty white space. This
compresses down to nothing through the DLT hardware compression. Netbackup
reports the amount of UNCOMPRESSED data stored on a particular tape. That's
the scoop.

Bill Schuller
Unix Systems Administrator
Cayenta, Inc.