Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Netbackup DB Catalog File Paths

2001-03-13 14:41:10
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Netbackup DB Catalog File Paths
From: Joshua Fielden jfielden AT excitecorp DOT com
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2001 11:41:10 -0800
It is possible that automated processes will write to the underlying fs when
the mount falls off, yes. Not likely, but possible. And the mount WILL fall of
sometimes.

The main problem with NAS/NFS in a mission-critical environment is that hard
mounts will hang the server if the file server goes away, and soft mounts WILL
cause loss of data over time. Evan Marcus has a good detailed explaination of
this in his 'blueprints' slide show and talk, unknown if it's in the book.

Another problem, especially in networks of our size, is that a network anomoly
puts your server out of business for the above reasons. If you're doing a
database backup, or other localized backup, and a junior admin puts a device on
your network with the same IP as the NAS server, you're either hung, or writing
holes in your files until it's fixed...

JF

On Tue, Mar 13, 2001 at 01:16:46PM -0600, Price, Michael spake unto the
multitudes: