Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Determining bad tape

2001-03-06 12:04:19
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Determining bad tape
From: Zufall, Ken KZufall AT officemax DOT com
Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2001 12:04:19 -0500
Jason,

Couple of ways to find the information you're looking for.

/usr/openv/netbackup/bin/admincmd/bperror -U -media -client [clientname] -d
[yy/mm/dd hh:mm:ss]

-d flag is start time of backup, you can also use -hoursago [# of hours].
Using the -media flag should show all media related errors on the client for
the specified time period.  You can also further narrow search by using
-jobid flag, specifying the jobid as represented in the job monitor.

If the -media flag does not give you the information you're looking for, use
-all instead.  This will provide details on all processes on the specified
client for the specified time period.

As to why you're not seeing the status 84's in the job monitor, could be a
couple of reasons for this.  One is that NetBackup will "hide" errors if the
backup is automatically relaunched on failure.  Only the exit status for the
last attempt will show in the job monitor.  You can see other attempts by
selecting the job in the activity monitor, then choosing "monitor" from the
actions menu.  Also, use the bperror command with -backstat flag instead of
-media or -all to see each failure.

You'll also want to check your /usr/openv/netbackup/db/jobs/job.conf file.
Settings here will determine how long you keep information on all backups in
the activity monitor.  Once a failure has disappeared from the activity
monitor, there is no way that I am aware of to gather information about it,
other than by sifting through the logs.  Page 349 of the UNIX
Administrator's Guide has more information.

Hope this helps.

Ken Zufall
Technical Analyst
Phone: 216.471.3613
Pager: 440.303.1656
Fax: 216.491.4051

"It's not the most intellectual job, but I do have to know all the letters."
Vanna White