Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] are vertias netbackup tapes readable using unix utilities

2001-03-05 02:48:56
Subject: [Veritas-bu] are vertias netbackup tapes readable using unix utilities
From: Bob Bakh bbakh AT veritas DOT com
Date: Sun, 4 Mar 2001 23:48:56 -0800
Also the NT tapes are essentially in a GNU tar format, so you can read it on
a UNIX box as well, so long as it's not MultiPlexed.

Now the big thing when you go to read a tape by hand is to use the no rewind
device.

/dev/rmt/0cbn for instance instead of /dev/rmt/0cb  this will save you a
bunch of headaches.

If you look in the trouble shooting guide there should be some reference on
how to do this.  You need to fsf past the header and the you will find the
image.

Now if it is an ORACLE, Sybase, Informix, SQL, SAP, Exchange, or Lotus Notes
backup you can not read them with Tar, only the file backups not any of the
extension backups.

Hope this helps,

Bob