Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Qualstar LTO Library and Veritas Net Backup

2001-02-16 19:45:00
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Qualstar LTO Library and Veritas Net Backup
From: Gorener, Argun AGorener AT geico DOT com
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2001 19:45:00 -0500
Hello List !!!

Strange thinks happening, following is the information about system and the
library.

UNIX Box:
Sun E220, 2x450 MHz Sparc Processor, 2 GB Memory, 2x18GB Internal Disk,
Solaris 2.7 (with 7 recommended patches), Veritas Net Backup (with latest
NBU 3.4  patches),
JNI-1063 PCI Fiber Card with JNI 2.5.9 Solaris Driver installed.

Tape Library:
Qualstar TLS-8466 with 4 HP LTO Drives, Fiber Channel Option installed.

Additional Information:
Tape Library is configured with fiber channel option and connected directly
to the SUN
server via JNI-1063 (PCI) card. Fiber option has been setup as loop from the
firmware. Tapes are
in RANDOM mode.

/etc/system file has all required changes for Veritas Netbackup and JNI
card.

Tape definition in /kernel/drv/st.conf file looks like this:

Tape-config-list =
"HP      Ultrium 1-SCSI", "HP Ultrium", "ULTRIUM";
ULTRIUM = 1,0x36,0,0xd639,4,0x00,0x00,0x00,0x40,3;

Name="st" class="scsi" target=0 lun=1;
Name="st" class="scsi" target=0 lun=2;
Name="st" class="scsi" target=0 lun=3;
Name="st" class="scsi" target=0 lun=4;

sgscan all command shows me the changer and the 4 tape drives in the
library. Configuration wizard is able
to serialize my four drive but not the changer. I had to manually configure
and move drives under the changer.

robtest is working without any problems and library is responding every
command I issued thru robtest.

Tape drives are fully functional from the UNIX side. I am able to read/write
data by using
UNIX commands (i.e. tar, cpio, ufsdump, dd). Tape devices are /dev/rmt/0
thru 3.

Net Backup has been configured as follows:
Library = TLD
Tape drives = hcard

Symptoms:
When I initiate backup from Veritas, robot arm is positioning in front of
the drives
(not the carousel), trying to grip something even if there is no tape in the
drives. At the same
time, front LCD displays "Scanning Inventory" Message. After couple of
gripper movements
I am having error on the Veritas side. Veritas complains about not being
able to clear drive number
1 and it goes on for number 2, number 3, number 4 etc.

If I insert cartridge in the drive (not fully inserted, in ejected position
but still in the drive), robot
grips it and moves it to correct position in the carousel, grips another
cartridge from next slot,
mounts it and everything runs fine.

Does anybody have any idea what's going on ?

I appreciated everybody's help and will summarize.

              o O  / Argun B. Gorener            \
        `\|||/'   |  GEICO UNIX Support           |